The nation of Japan requires a license in order to rent out your home. Below are answers to frequently asked questions, but we also highly recommend that you visit the Japan Tourism Agency’s portal website to apply for your license.
Q: How do I apply for a license number for my listing?
- Please visit Japan Tourism Agency’s portal website in order to apply for a license and receive a license number. You will need to add the license number to your listing page by the deadline provided.
- Note- Any bookings made with a check-in date on or after June 15th, 2018 for unlisted properties you may have in Japan must be canceled to comply with Japan’s regulations.
Q: What is the license number?
The license number is a 10 digit number assigned by local authorities to each individual listing you register.
Q: What if I refuse to register my listing?
- Any Agoda listing in Japan that is unlicensed as of June 15th, 2018 will be unlisted and no longer available for booking, and you will not be able to accept any future bookings. You will have to license your home in order to receive any future bookings.
- If you don’t wish to register, please inform Agoda as soon as possible and stop accepting bookings.
Q: If my listing gets unlisted, how do I relist it?
After getting a license, you will be provided a license number. Please provide that license number and any other required information to Agoda in order to relist your property on the site.
Q: I am hosting under the Hotels License, or Special Economic Zoning Act. In this case, how should I register my property on Agoda?
- You can register your property by following this article "How do I add my property to Agoda and complete my listing?"
- After your list got published to the website, you need to update your license information on the license page, see this article "How do I update rental license?"
- Please send us a request along with your licensing number and any other relevant information through this online form.
Q: Do I need a separate license number for each of my properties?
Yes, you will need to obtain a license number for each listing. Please apply for your license(s) and add your license number and other necessary information to your Agoda listings.
Q: What happens if I intentionally enter false information?
- Do not intentionally enter false information! Doing so could lead to receiving penalties from national and local regulators. You must provide the license number for your property in your Agoda listing, as well as the address as it is shown on the licensing documents. All legal details you enter will be automatically shown on your listing page, and national and local regulators will be able to check and verify that information in order to confirm your compliance with the law.
- Agoda will unlist any property we discover to be unlicensed.
Q: What will happen to my reservations if my listing is unlisted due to being unlicensed?
Unlicensed properties in Japan may be found in violation of the Hotel Business Act, and Agoda has a policy of unlisting unlicensed properties. While bookings are not automatically canceled for unlisted properties, we reserve the right to cancel reservations for any unlicensed property. This may result in being fined according to the penalty policies outlined in your contract with Agoda. Please apply for the license as soon as possible and add the licensing number and other relevant information to your listings.
Q: If my listing is unlisted, will Agoda automatically cancel my reservations? Should hosts cancel on their own?
- Agoda does not automatically cancel reservations for unlisted properties, however we reserve the right to cancel them if we learn the property is unlicensed. You will need to contact Agoda customer support so we can support you and your guests.
- We reserve the right to unlist unlicensed properties. Please only accept bookings when you a) intend to honor and b) are legally allowed to accept bookings.
Q: Will I still be able to access payment page if my property is unlisted?
Yes. As long as your account is not deleted, you can still access your payment page and receive any payable funds.
Q: Would you like to update your rental license? Please click HERE.