Renting out your own place is a personal experience -- so what happens if your property or belongings are damaged by guests?
Agoda lets you set a security deposit policy that allows you to collect upfront money from guests to cover potential property damage. You have full control over the payment process, deciding when and how to collect the deposit from guests. Please note that Agoda does not handle the security deposit directly.
Here’s how a security deposit works:
- Guests give you a deposit directly before check-in, and you define the collection process (preferred method and timeline) and handling of the deposit.
- According to the collection and refund policies you have defined, you are responsible for ensuring the correct amount is collected, deducted, and returned.
Setting up a security deposit policy:
- You’ll need to clearly state your policy and security deposit amount in your property description as well as house rules to avoid any confusion. Misunderstandings about security deposits can be stressful for both guests and hosts.
- Step 1. Go to Host Manage.
- Step 2. Go to the ‘Listings’ page and click “Edit Listing.”
- Step 3. Then, go to the Description page.
- Step 4. Update the “Describe your place” and “Provide exact check-in instructions” sections.
Here’s how it looks on Host Manage:
How it looks on the Agoda store front:
- Our Accommodation Support Team can also assist in loading your security deposit (as an excluded surcharge) to your property’s listing. A surcharge note will then appear on the booking form during booking and guests’ booking voucher, informing that the additional fee needs to be paid to the property upon check-in.
- Step 1. Go to Agoda Homes Help Center
- Step 2. Click “Contact us” (on the top right corner) to submit a request
- Step 3. Fill in your Email Address, Subject, Description, Priority, Country, Property ID, Property Name and Phone Number.
- For “Description” please provide the correct information and clearly state the action our support team needs to take.
- For “What can we help you with?” select “Technical Assistance” > “Request to update Property details.”
- For “Property ID” if you have more than one property, you can just input one property ID and then list the entire list in the ‘Description’ section.
- Important information:
- Please note that the security deposit is an excluded surcharge which must be collected by the property. Agoda will not take any responsibility in case of missed collection.
- The surcharge is always based on the same currency as your property setting.
Request form sample:
How it looks on the guest’s booking voucher:
- Additionally, we strongly recommend that you inform guests through Agoda’s messaging service that you will collect the security deposit upon their arrival or prior to check-in, as this is the only collection option that is compliant with the terms of service.
How it looks on Host Manage:
How it looks on guests’ bookings page:
- Step 1. Go to Agoda.com or Agoda app
- Step 2. On web - Click on the profile page (top right corner) and then ‘Bookings’ / On app – Go to the ‘Bookings’ page (second button at the bottom)
- Step 3. Click on the booking and then click ‘View property policies’ (on web) / ‘Property Information’ (on app)