The NSW Government’s Code of conduct for the short-term rental accommodation industry of October 2021 (the “Code”) states the following:
2.2.5 On and from the day that registration on the premises register becomes mandatory under planning laws, a booking platform must ensure that short-term rental accommodation premises are not advertised on the booking platform’s online booking service unless: (a) the premises is registered on the premises register, and (b) the registration number for the premises is displayed alongside the details of the premises on the booking platform’s online booking service
All STRA premises in NSW require now a license in order to rent out their properties. For properties in NSW to be live on Agoda, we need the property’s license number assigned by local authorities to each individual property you wish to rent out. To apply, visit Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) | Planning Portal - Department of Planning and Environment (nsw.gov.au)
Any unlicensed property in NSW will be deactivated from November 1st, 2021. A deactivated property does not mean a deleted account. As long as your account is still active on Agoda, you may access your profile to manage your payments and settings.
Any booking for un-licensed properties in NSW with a check-in date on or after November 1st, 2021 must be canceled to comply with the NSW’s regulations. To stay up to date on any rules and regulations, we recommend you visit the Short-term rental accommodation - (nsw.gov.au).
If your property has been impacted, you will not be able to receive any bookings. If you wish to reactivate your property, Contact Us and provide your license number.
Note: Do not intentionally enter false information. Doing so may lead to penalties from the NSW government. License information provided by you will be displayed on your property page on Agoda and will be subject to inspection by the NSW government. Agoda reserves the right to deactivate any property that is found to have missing or false license information.
You may request re-activation of your property by us at AgodaHomes-Australia@agoda.com.
Update on Web
You may also add the license number yourself on Host Manage. Go to the Listings page. Click Edit listing and select Rental License under Legal. Provide your license type, number, full legal name, email address, property address, and room number. Save your changes.
Update on App
Note: You may add rental license information only on Host Manage web. This functionality is not available on the app.
The NSW Government has implemented a new statewide regulatory framework for Short-Term Rental Accommodations (STRA) to complement the mandatory Code of Conduct. This new STRA regulation requires a license in order to rent out your propriety on Agoda.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions, but we also highly recommend that you visit the Short-term rental accommodation - (nsw.gov.au) website to apply for your license.
Q: How do I apply for a license number for my listing?
- Please visit Short-term rental accommodation - (nsw.gov.au) website in order to apply for a license and receive a license number. You will need to add the license number to your listing page by the deadline provided.
- Note- Any bookings made with a check-in date on or after November 1st, 2021 for unlisted properties you may have in NSW must be canceled to comply with NSW government’s regulations.
Q: What is the license number?
The license number is a digit number assigned by The department of Planning, Industry and Environment to each individual listing you register.
Q: What if I refuse to register my listing?
- Any Agoda listing in NSW that is unlicensed as of November 1st, 2021 will be unlisted and no longer available for booking, and you will not be able to accept any future bookings. You will have to license your home in order to receive any future bookings.
- If you don’t wish to register, please inform Agoda as soon as possible and stop accepting bookings.
Q: If my listing gets unlisted, how do I relist it?
After getting a license, you will be provided a license number. Please provide that license number and any other required information to Agoda in order to relist your property on the site.
Q: Do I need a separate license number for each of my properties?
Yes, you will need to obtain a license number for each listing. Please apply for your license(s) and add your license number and other necessary information to your Agoda listings.
Q: What happens if I intentionally enter false information?
- Do not intentionally enter false information! Doing so could lead to receiving penalties from the NSW Government. You must provide the license number for your property in your Agoda listing, as well as the address as it is shown on the licensing documents. All legal details you enter will be automatically shown on your listing page, and the NSW Government will be able to check and verify that information in order to confirm your compliance with the law.
- Agoda will un-list any property we discover to be unlicensed.
Q: What will happen to my reservations if my listing is unlisted due to being unlicensed?
Unlicensed STRA properties in NSW may be found in violation of the code of conduct, and Agoda has a policy of unlisting unlicensed properties. While bookings are not automatically canceled for unlisted properties, we reserve the right to cancel reservations for any unlicensed property. This may result in being fined according to the penalty policies outlined in your contract with Agoda. Please apply for the license as soon as possible and add the licensing number and other relevant information to your listings.
Q: If my listing is unlisted, will Agoda automatically cancel my reservations? Should hosts cancel on their own?
- Agoda does not automatically cancel reservations for unlisted STRA properties, however we reserve the right to cancel them if we learn the property is unlicensed. You will need to contact Agoda customer support so we can support you and your guests.
- We reserve the right to un-list unlicensed properties. Please only accept bookings when you a) intend to honor and b) are legally allowed to accept booking.
Q: Will I still be able to access payment page if my property is unlisted?
Yes. As long as your account is not deleted, you can still access your payment page and receive any payable funds.
Q: Would you like to update your rental license?
Please click HERE.